It feels good to finally be putting stuff back in the car rather than just removing things.
First I finished the Motor adapter, and mounted it to the motor, then I added some angle iron to be used to lift the motor in place, and mount it to the motor mounts in the car.
Next I simply bolted the motor to the transmission. It was a little tricky to get the drive shaft coupler to fit onto the transmission shaft, but with a little work, it finally lined up.
Finally I needed to get the engine mounted to the frame using the motor mounts. I did not want to make these before I got the motor in the car, because It is hard to know the exact size and angle until the motor is in place. I used some more of my 2" angle iron to welded these mounts into place.
This weekend I have done some work on my Electric vehicle. Most of the work was just clearing out all the stuff that is not needed.
I removed the fuel tank, exhaust system, and the spare tire. This will give me room to add the batteries. I want to have all the batteries in the same location in order to keep them warm in the winter (they need to be over 32 deg F when you charge them). The only place in the car with enough room for this is in the back, so I am removing as much weight from the back as I can in hopes it does the suspension can handle all the battery weight (about 950 lbs of batteries). I figure I removed about 200 lbs from the fuel tank (when it is full), about 50 lbs from the muffler, and about 100 lbs from the tire and tire mount. the electric motor is much lighter than the gasoline engine, but all that weight came off the front. So I may have to beef up the suspension, but we will see.
I also did some work trying to get the motor adapter setup. I made a video of it.
It looks like winter is almost over, and the wood boiler did a great job keeping us warm and supplying all the hot water we could use. I am working on getting a full set of plans made so it will be easy for anyone to make a high quality wood gasifier boiler, and I have already started getting wood for next winter (I want to let it dry out all summer).
Now that the boiler is done, it is time to move on to some other projects. Here is what I plan to get done this summer:
1- Build some hot water solar panels to heat hot water during the summer (so I don't need to use the wood boiler all summer)
2- Convert a Honda passport over to run on electricity
3- Build a carport to park, and also charge the electirc car (this will also be used to mount the extra solar panels (see #4)
4- scale up my solar panel arrar you be able to produce enough power to run my electric car
5- Setup an inverter to run off my electirc cars batery bank to power my house during power outages (my car will store 40kwh of power)
I have a feeling this is going to be a busy summer….
I just ran my first live run with my wood boiler, and it is working great. I was able to heat up my house (it actually got too hot, because it is not very cold). And I was able to heat my hot water tank. Also my automated controls worked flawlessly turning the burn on and off as needed, to keep the water temperature perfect, and making the wood last longer. I even shut the boiler down for about 15 hours, and it was able to fire up on its own without lighting it. I have made a couple videos.
After a bunch of testing, I think I finally know what to do to get the primary, and secondary burn to work well. I will just need to get a second blower to getenough air to both of them. I have increased the flow to the primary burn chamber, but now the blower does not put out enough air to secondary burn chamber (the blower I am using just does not have the capacity. You can see my video here